

**Regional Composting Working Group Minutes
Durham Town Hall, 1st Floor Conference Room
Monday December 20, 2021 2:00 pm**

Members present:

Maggie Morrison (ORCSD)
Dean Rubine (Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee)
Nell Neal (Durham Integrated Waste Management Advisory Committee)
Mary Caulfield (Durham Integrated Waste Management Advisory Committee)
Chloe Gross (UNH Sustainability Institute)
Jenn Andrews (UNH Sustainability Institute), by speakerphone
Chuck Cox (Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee)

Members absent: Evy Ashburner (ORCSD)

Public Present: N/A

Call to order: 2:10 pm

I. Approval of minutes from November 8, 2021, December 6, 2021

Dean moved, Jenn 2nd, November 8 minutes approved as amended, 7-0

Maggie moved, Jenn 2nd, December 6 minutes approved as amended, 7-0

II. Discussion of Draft Final Report

Dean: The LSC asks that all three drafts in existence, which we might call Paul's, Jenn's and Dean's, be considered as possible final reports. Paul's is an introduction, then recommendations, and then appends Chloe's report in its entirety.

[RCWG discusses drafts.]

Maggie moves: The Regional Compost Working Group appreciates the work of the LSC and Paul Gaswoski, but the RCWG will complete revisions on the final report of our committee. We invite any of the member organizations to use the report as they see fit. Nell 2nd. 7-0 approved.

Dean: Thank you on behalf of the LSC for considering Paul's submission. I think it was Paul's feeling that my draft did not sufficiently reference and represent Chloe's report. That was not my intention. In the recent draft I've added a number of references to Chloe's report.

Maggie: Thanks Jenn for making a stab with your recommendations. I looked at it quickly; you put together a structure that is sound and clear.

Jenn: What I can do, since I've been working on the copy version, I can add other changes that I made into your document, so we just have one.

Maggie: What's the best way to proceed? Have Dean and Jenn produce the next draft together?

Dean: Yes. I've already tried to incorporate Jenn's draft, including the reorganized structure and any particular edits to paragraphs that I saw had been made, back into the main draft. There were some deletions that I did not incorporate, but we can reconsider cutting them. Also, I didn't include placeholders for items that Jenn suggested should be written but haven't been yet. Jenn and everyone else should feel free to incorporate additional material into the main draft. My feeling is if there was some lesson learned by the committee, we should include it in the report lest it be forgotten.

Dean: That assumes we have more time. Is this our last meeting?

Maggie: ORCSD says I can still have my computer past Dec 31. I want Chloe to still be a part of this. We can extend the deadline. I don't think we're ready to do much action now. It's the holidays.

Jenn: One of things I was suggesting, not reflected in the main draft, was not having any executive summary on the front end summary. Each individual group should have its own summary, partly to give people the opportunity to do that framing on their own, partly to have it streamlined. What do people think about the idea of each member organization doing its own summary?

Chloe: We have all this information that's relevant to everyone. Including it gives people a different opportunity to tailor the report to their organization.

Maggie: What you're suggesting Jenn is that the first page be shorter?

Jen: Make it a report of our finding, not all our research. Leave the breadcrumbs to Chloe's report. I like Dean's latest draft; I'm inclined to say never mind.

Nell: You prefer the longer version?

Jen: I'm taking that back about the summary of the report. I thought we could reference Chloe's report. That was my thought process.

Dean: I think we should just worry about the report of our committee, where we try to set down what we want to remember and share about our work. We allow any of our entities to produce summaries, excerpts or otherwise use this report and Chloe's report however they see fit.

Maggie: I don't think it needs to include the recommendations. Is there value just to end it with joint regional food waste reductions; end it; then each committee puts their own recommendations as part of what they could recommend?

Mary and Chuck: I think there is value in knowing what the other towns are thinking.

Nell: There's way too much in there from Durham; I wrote a simplified version that I emailed around. Stuff about methane, etc.

Dean: Everyone should feel free to edit the Google document directly; I'd be happy to incorporate the emailed changes.

Nell: We have some additional changes to make first.

Maggie: We want it to represent the good work of Chloe, the time we spent, and we don't want it to go on forever. I'm happy to set a deadline in January and do some homework.

Mary: Can we wrap things up with email from here out?

Maggie: We'll make changes by email; Dean and Jenn and Chloe work on the draft; feel free to assign me a task. Jenn and Dean will be the authors; we can approve by email. Fill in assignments. Maybe meet and talk about where to take it from here.

Jenn: I like the idea of a half hour meeting, we officially approve the report, we talk about how to go forward. Sounds fantastic.

Mary: Mid January.

Jenn: What I can imagine for assignments, this looks pretty close, look at these 4 paragraphs and make sure they say what they need to. Tailored review, then sent out to the group for final objections.

Jenn: Let's say that Dean and Jenn ask for feedback by Jan 7.

Dean: Great. I think I've incorporated all the material and references that I could think of. I'll continue to tweak but I'm not inclined to make further major changes. But I'm sure Jenn's additions and edits will greatly improve the report.

Jenn: I will commit to do my part by the end of the day on the 4th, out by the 7th, turn around with the rest of the committee in a week, then we would be ready for approval.

Dean: We will have a draft for the committee by the 7th.

Nell: As I was reading the report, it occurred to me that it's very informative. As I think about Durham's council members and folks in general, what they do or don't know about composting in the region. It's a worthwhile document. It could be a separate resource. I'm not suggesting we change anything. Council members will have it as a resource.

Dean: After the RCWG is over we'll all make recommendations to our respective organizations.

Jenn: Chloe has a lot of slides that the RCWG members could use to present to their organization.

Chloe: I have a slide deck I can share.

Dean: If you send it along, I'll put it in the folder.

Maggie: Thanks Jenn for joining us on Zoom, hope you feel better.

Maggie: Check out the Sustainable Durham website. There's a section on waste reduction and compost. It might be a good place for Chloe's slides, all these reports.

III. Next Meeting

End of January? Week of Jan 17, Mary out of town.

Next meeting January 18, 4pm Durham Town Hall

IV. Adjourn

Dean moved to adjourn. Mary 2nd, vote 7-0, Adjourned 2:52 pm

Respectively submitted,

Dean Rubine