

**Regional Composting Working Group Meeting Minutes**  
**Thursday June 3, 2021 4 PM**

**I. Call to Order** 4:00 pm

**Members present:** Maggie Morrison (ORCSD), Jenn Andrews (UNH Sustainability Institute), Nell Neal (Durham Integrated Waste Management Advisory Committee), Dean Rubine (Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee), Evy Ashburner (ORCSD), Chloe Gross (UNH Sustainability Institute), Chuck Cox (Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee)

**Members absent:** Mary Caulfield (Durham Integrated Waste Management Advisory Committee)

**Public Present:** N/A

**I. Approval of minutes from May 20, 2021**

Roll Vote 6-0 approved unamended (Chuck not yet present)

**II. Introductions** N/A

**III. Public comment** N/A

**IV. Updates**

Maggie: Nothing to report

Evy: The ORHS Principal is being promoted; there was screening of new principal by students. The ORHS Sustainability Club asked about sustainability initiatives. I wasn't there; I'm looking forward to finding out what they said.

Dean: Two candidates?

Evy: I think there was an assistant principal from Portsmouth High and someone from Bedford High.

Maggie: That's really impressive that members of the club went to ask, just great.

**a. Madbury rep?** N/A

**b. Other?** N/A

**V. Data Inventory**

Maggie: I will get the 2019/2020 data on the amount of compost to Mr. Fox; I will put that in. Waste audit does point out how much is not being composted. Is that a data point worth having or not?

Jenn: Discuss spreadsheet now? Committee agrees.

Maggie: Oyster River's waste is not landfilled, it's incinerated.

Jenn: Thanks, noted. Do you have total data for the incinerator?

Maggie: Not sure. We're not billed by tonnage. We have an annual contract.

Jenn: Interesting, and worth looking into.

Jenn: The Spreadsheet has a column for each potential data item to be collected and a row for each of our organizations, Durham, Lee, ORCSD, UNH. I've color coded the cells:

Red means impossible to get.

Orange means we're not sure we can get it.

Yellow means we're confident we can get it.

Green means we have it.

[https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1npLdk\\_zxL7ITTW9rPJ-vDobjyDlfnjdXoP0INu1ANU0/edit#gid=1079179312](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1npLdk_zxL7ITTW9rPJ-vDobjyDlfnjdXoP0INu1ANU0/edit#gid=1079179312)

Evy: 5000 pounds of organics from classrooms going to landfill instead of being composted, 7000 pounds of total organics (including waste in wrong bins) going to landfill. This data is from the 2019/2020 school year.

Maggie: The only food waste we capture is cafeteria, to Mr. Fox. The Waste Audit report discovered lots of food not getting composted.

Jenn: An aggregated snapshot for each individual unit.

Nell: I'll get the data for next time.

Jenn: Are we confident the total MSW data is available?

Nell: Yes, but not composting numbers.

Nell: Durham MSW goes to Turnkey.

Dean: Lee as well.

Nell: What does "users" mean?

Jenn: The idea was the number of users. Most relevant user. Can we agree that households or population is the right metric?

Nell: We have households and families and student households in Durham.

Hen: Are the students included in the population numbers?

Dean: They often are.

Maggie: Students in rental units have their own trash collection.

Nell: If they're in Madbury Commons, it's mixed.

Jenn: So this would only include Durham's public data, not private hauler data.

Dean: I only give you town of Lee data, not private data.

Jenn: What percent of the waste generated in Lee is hauled by private haulers?

Dean: That would be good to find out.

Jenn: For the users, Chloe will have her work cut out for her parsing data about population, household, students, etc. The Venn diagram of UNH & Durham leads to double counting - try to sort out.

Dean: We know the population in town but not if everyone uses the transfer station.

Nell: We're composting some of the bottom of our pizza boxes.

Dean: We weigh the Mr. Fox 60 gallon loads to try to get our costs down.

Nell: I'll ask if I can find how many people are composting at the Transfer Station; we know for the three pilots.

Maggie: It's 100% of students composting in the cafeteria, not staff and faculty, so they're not using it to compost. It's not consistent; in some schools the classroom compost adds to that. It's a wonky number.

Jenn: I'll call it a "sporadic and incomplete number" of users that compost.

Maggie: I could estimate but it won't be very clean.

Jenn: Is this a useful metric? It seems so in the long run. We could say that over n years we went from x% to y%.

Maggie: We have to distinguish between municipally supported compost and backyard compost.

Evy: I have to run.

Maggie: We'll let you know when the next meeting is.

Jenn: Let's focus on municipal/institutionally supported compost programs.

Jenn: The rate of composting would be another good data point.

Nell: I'll ask about compost in calendar years.

Jenn: We should try to be consistent on the time periods.

Maggie: I will ask Mr Fox about weight; it might be by tote. We've been working with Mr. Fox approximately seven years.

Jenn: For UNH we have totes data back to 2018 with Agricycle.

Chuck: There are different kinds of contamination to consider. Chemical versus physical. Need leaf and waste carbon material to work the system.

Jenn: I'll change the heading to "yard and ag waste."

Jenn: Each organization should fill out their own row, ok? [Committee agrees]

Nell: Durham has dual stream - paper/cardboard one week...

## **VI. Survey questions**

Dean: LSC wants to see and comment on a draft.

Jenn: I haven't shared a draft yet. I'll try to get something together. Super first draft.

Maggie: Nell did you talk to Todd?

Jenn: That was on me. I need to communicate with Todd about various aspects related to an energy fellowship. It has to happen soon, so I'll do it.

Maggie: Our homework, for everybody, is to fill in the boxes and correctly color codes.

Nell: I'm having difficulty with the spreadsheet; can I send it to you by email?

Jenn: Yes, just write the colors as words please.

## **VII. Deadline for our recommendations: September** [skipped, no discussion]

## **VIII. Next meeting date? Do we need to meet every 2 wks? in the interim of survey development?**

Yes, every two weeks, next meeting Thursday 6/17/2021 4pm

## **IX. New Business**

N/A

## **X. Adjourn**

Adjourned 5:04 pm

Respectively submitted,

Dean Rubine