



**Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting
APPROVED Minutes**

January 12, 2021 7PM via Zoom

Meeting ID: 923-766-4832 Password: 136658

Link: <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9237664832> or Telephone: 1-646-558-8656

I. Call to Order 7:01 pm

The chair read the COVID-19/Zoom Meeting statement pursuant to the Governor's Emergency Order 12.

Members present: Paul Gasowski (chair), Jennifer Messeder, Chuck Cox, Dean Rubine.

[Roll call attendance, no one else in anyone's room.]

Members absent: N/A

Public Present: N/A

II. Preliminary Actions

A. Introductions N/A

B. Approval of Agenda

Paul: Let's add to II C the minutes from October and November.

C. Minutes: Approve Minutes from 10/15/20, 11/20/2020, 12/8/2020

10/15/2020 Chuck move, Paul 2nd committee reviewed, made final edits. Roll call vote 3-0-1, Jen abstains. Approved as amended.

11/20/2020 Jen moved, Chuck 2nd, committee edited, roll call vote 4-0. Approved as amended.

12/8/2020 Jen moved, Chuck 2nd, committee edited, roll call vote 4-0. Approved as amended.

D. Correspondence/Events: Nancy Ryan, Maggie Morrison, Julie Glover, Steve Bullek, Erika Hunter

Jen & Paul: Nancy Ryan wrote in with questions about office paper recycling; Jen responded.

III. Discussion Items/Updates

A. Paul: Erika's Resignation

Paul read Erika's resignation letter. Committee expressed regret.

Dean moved to accept, Paul 2nd, roll call vote, 4-0. Resignation accepted. The committee thanks Erika for her service.

B. Paul: Right to Know Law and Lee's Electronic Media Policy

Paul: Everyone needs to be familiar with Lee's policy and the Right-To-Know law.

C. Dean/Paul: Municipal Composting Update

Paul shared emails from Oyster River Sustainability Advisory Committee member Maggie Morrison. Committee discussed Right-To-Know concerns, and each participating group "running it up the flagpole," i.e. getting permission to continue regional compost discussions from their respective overseers.

Paul shared an email from Town Administrator Julie Glover, who expressed support of the committee's composting efforts and regretted that she herself was too busy to contribute. The committee accepts this as permission to continue the exploration of regional municipal-scale composting, and vows to keep the town informed of our progress.

The committee decided to continue the compost project. The plan is to send a representative to a joint regional composting group, likely consisting of folks who attended the last meeting, or representatives from their groups: Lee Sustainability Committee, Durham IWMAC, UNH Sustainability Institute, Oyster River Sustainability Advisory Committee.

Dean got a copy of the book by James McSweeney: Community-Scale Composting Systems.

Dean: Lee Public Works Director Steve Bullek estimates the Lee Transfer Station generates 850 pounds per week of food waste to Mr. Fox. That's a revision to the 700 pound estimate Dean made at the 12/8 meeting. Dean will estimate the weekly MSW and the amount of food waste left therein.

Jen moved that Dean and Chuck be our representatives to the as yet unformed, unnamed Oyster River regional composting committee. Paul 2nd. Roll call vote: 4-0. Approved.

Chuck: Who's convening the new committee?

Paul: Not sure, its membership should overlap with the folks at the 12/8/2020 discussion.

Jen: It would be useful to know if our transfer station has space for a site.

Chuck: Let's wait until the committee is up before we make decisions. We can sound out Steve on the possibility of a site to compost at the transfer station.

Dean will communicate with Steve about the possibility of a regional composting site at the transfer station.

Paul: Please request that the new committee copy Jen, Paul and sustain@leenh.org on committee emails. The chair will keep the town administrator informed without overburdening her at this busy time.

D. Paul: Update LSC Proposed Budget for FY22

Paul: FY22 proposed budget is currently \$500, subject to change as it works through the process. I will monitor.

E. Jen: Update ‘One Bin’ Book Proof for Web Page

Article: Little Bins

Chuck: Add mention / maybe photo of trash barrels along the wall.

Jen suggested language.

Dean moved Chuck 2nd, roll call vote, 4-0 article approved as amended.

Article: Out Back

Added note about swap shop being closed due to COVID-19.

Chuck moved, Dean 2nd, roll call vote, 4-0, approved as amended.

Article: What’s Left?

Committee does not suggest any changes.

Chuck moved, Dean 2nd, roll call vote, 4-0, approved unamended.

Article: The Paradox

Dean moved, Chuck 2nd, roll call vote, 4-0, approved unamended.

Jen: I’m still waiting to resolve a few things before we can finalize the entire book.

F. Paul: Lee Arts, Crafts and Cottage Industry Directory

Paul: I’ve taken the project back from Erika. Big topic: Should we continue and how?

Paul: I’d like to move forward with it. Chuck, do you want to help with this? You’re well connected to the food and the arts & crafts communities.

Chuck: Yes. I’d like to see it continue. I talked to Matt Rowell about how his ideas are in this project.

Jen: I’m willing to support; I don’t know too many people. Are we hitting too many obstacles or is this feasible?

Paul: With Erika we were trying to get something we can present to Julie. We have to reset.

Paul: I’ll take on the task of getting the document in shape to present to Julie. Chuck and I will bat it around before the next meeting. Thanks Chuck.

G. Other N/A

IV. New Business

A. Dean/Paul: Transcription of Minutes

Paul: Dean suggested we record meetings to the cloud so we can use the Zoom transcription feature. If we did Dean would still review and refine to produce draft minutes, and the committee will discuss, revise and approve as usual.

Dean: Tonight I've been typing minutes as we go so I probably won't need the recording this month.

Paul: I didn't want to burden the town administrator with trivial stuff while they're so busy. Why don't we try it for next time? We'll run it by the town if it works.

[Committee concurred] .

Jen: It could be a useful backup to confirm what you're typing now.

Paul: Good point.

B. All: Style Guide for LSC

Paul: We have drafts from Erika and Jen.

Dean: I think we should use Jen's style guide and have Jen nurture it along.

Jen: OK.

Paul: Sounds good

Jen: Serial comma? [Committee: no]

C. Next Steps: Drought/Groundwater Awareness

NHDES Drought Updates

Paul: We're now in "Abnormally Dry" conditions, an improvement from "Extreme Drought."

Jen: Update of Messeder well: 18 inches at lowest point; an additional yard now.

Paul: I was wondering if the water would make it down. That's good news.

Chuck: The weather looks like the maple trees are ready to run, 40s day, 20s night.

Jen: That's early in the season.

Chuck: Yes, if we tap now we may have to retap later in the season, not sure if we'll tap early.

NHDES Lee Well Database

Paul: I will draft an E-Crier article about NHDES database.

Dean: I still have the Winter Heat Wave / Climate Change article to do.

D. Other N/A

V. Public Comments N/A

VI. Closing Actions

A. Future Meeting Dates: 2/9/21

B. Agenda Planning for Next Meeting

Paul: See above. Anything we talked about can be worked on between meetings. Communications between members are subject to Right-To-Know.

Paul: We could use more members. The conservation commission created a trails committee and they approved eight applicants out of 18 who wanted to work on trails.

VII. Adjournment

Jen moved, Dean 2nd. Roll call vote 4-0, Adjourned 8:35 pm

Respectfully Submitted, Dean Rubine