



## **Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting**

**Minutes February 9, 2021 7 PM**

**Virtual Zoom Meeting ID: 923-766-4832 Password: 136658**

**Link: <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9237664832> or Telephone: 1-646-558-8656**

### **I. Call to Order 7:05 pm**

The chair read the COVID-19/Zoom Meeting statement pursuant to the Governor's Emergency Order 12.

**Members present:** Paul Gasowski (chair), Jennifer Messeder, Chuck Cox, Dean Rubine.  
[Roll call attendance, no one else in anyone's room.]

**Members absent:** N/A

**Public Present:** N/A

### **II. Preliminary Actions**

**A. Introductions** N/A

#### **B. Approval of Agenda**

Dean: Let's add correspondence with Ruth Sample to the agenda

Paul: I'll share additional E-Crier drafts

#### **C. Minutes: Approve Minutes from 1/12/21**

Minor edits. Chuck moved, Jen 2nd, roll call vote 4-0, approved as amended.

#### **D. Correspondence/Events: Maggie Morrison, Julie Glover, Sue Caswell, Jennifer Andrews, Nell Neal. Ruth Sample.**

Discussion about Right To Know, guidelines on procedures, with respect to Regional Compost Working Group below.

Dean: My wife Ruth Sample sent a message February 2nd to Paul and I about ash trees. I assume it was sent to us in our role as LSC members.

Ruth forwarded this post from Jim Cartmell to NAFEX; I don't know who either is.

*Later this month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will formally admit defeat along one front of its battle against a devastating invasive insect. Starting 14 January, the agency will no longer regulate the movement of living ash trees or wood between states. This quarantine has, for more than 10 years, formed the cornerstone of the federal government's strategy for curbing the spread of the emerald ash borer, an iridescent green beetle that threatens to wipe out North America's ash trees, an ecological linchpin of many forests. Instead, USDA plans to ramp up an effort to control the borer by releasing tiny wasps that parasitize and kill the beetles.*

She included a reference to an article behind a paywall:

**Dismay greets end of U.S. effort to curb devastating forest pest**

Gabriel Popkin

Science 08 Jan 2021:

Vol. 371, Issue 6525, pp. 111-112

DOI: 10.1126/science.371.6525.111

Gabriel Popkin is a journalist in Mount Rainier, Maryland.

Later this month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will formally admit defeat along one front of its battle against a devastating invasive insect. Starting 14 January, the agency will no longer regulate the movement of living ash trees or borer-infested wood within the United States. This quarantine has, for more than 10 years, formed the cornerstone of the federal government's strategy for curbing the spread of the emerald ash borer, an iridescent green beetle that threatens to wipe out North America's ash trees, an ecological linchpin of many forests. Instead, USDA plans to ramp up an effort to control the borer by releasing tiny wasps that parasitize and kill the beetles. The shift is controversial. Some scientists and environmental advocates agree that, after spending some \$350 million over the past 2 decades to fight the ash borer, the government should redirect scarce resources to more promising strategies. But others argue the surrender is premature, and some states are vowing to maintain local controls on ash tree and wood movement. "I worry that this decision hastens the rate at which [ash] trees are threatened," says Leigh Greenwood, a forest health specialist at the Nature Conservancy. "This is one layer of protection we're taking away."

Paul: We have three ash trees; not doing very well, probably not the beetle. Emerald Green insect that's not the ash borer.

Chuck: Haven't seen a great deal of dieback. We have a lot of ash trees. If you pull the bark off you can check for beetles but I haven't been checking.

Dean: Our ash is fine so far.

Jen: No ash that we know of.

Paul: Maybe we can come back to this.

Dean: I'll tell Ruth.

Jen: Conservation Commission would be interested.

Paul: They have a large trails committee of over 20 people. Let's pass that along to them.

Dean: Good idea

Paul: I think it was the Nature Conservancy that didn't agree with the decision to stop the program.

### **III. Discussion Items/Updates**

#### **A. Regional Compost Working Group (RCWG) and Right to Know**

Paul: They are going to use our (Lee Sustainability Committee) public record.

Paul: I think the public servants are ducking the responsibility of RTK. How are they organized?

Jen: This is confusing to me and everyone in general. What is the working group supposed to be doing? It sounds like they should be following RTK. Where I got confused was because we have two members, that constitutes a quorum, so the working group meeting is the LSC meeting.

Paul: That's where I get confused too. It is a quorum?

Dean: Chuck and I will agree not to make decisions for the committee.

Paul: I like the desire to just to get things done.

Chuck: The RCWG will just be making recommendations to our respective governments. We don't have any authority to decide real things.

Paul: That's the role of an advisory committee. They all play that role. Ask them if any of them posted this meeting in their respective towns. We posted it. I was told by Denise that we physically posted it but she wouldn't put it on the town web calendar because "it was not our meeting."

Jen: It's confusing.

Paul: Decisions were made before we walked into the room. Maggie Morrison and Jen Andrews made decisions about a framework. It's loosely organized right now. It's easier to work in a tight small group. I don't know where that leaves us.

Dean: I felt they were just trying to make it work, and I appreciate that.

Chuck: We're still in the formative stages. We're going to set goals and timeframe. Things we'll be working on the next few meetings. Then gathering information. It's all internal, organizational types of things. Someone has to make decisions.

Jen: As part of the organizational stage, it would be helpful to the WG(working group) if all the towns and school district and UNH got clarification on the RTK process as to whose meetings are they, do they need to be posted on the respective town website, who handles minutes, where do they go, checklist of each meeting.

Paul: In earlier emails Maggie Morrison told me she and Nell checked with (supervisory) people and concluded they weren't beholden to RTK.

Dean: We have to behave in the way that's right for us.

Jen: I'm not sure these should be LSC meetings.

Dean: Can Chuck and I be a subcommittee?

Paul: The entire group doesn't want to be a subcommittee of LSC. If two members of the Select Board show up they can't participate because it would then be a Select Board meeting.

Dean: We need another member so we're not a quorum.

Jen: Work group meetings are on the weekday when I can't attend.

Paul: I'll ask if there's a way around it. In the ideal world I'd sit down with a group of people and plan something. The RSA's not written that way.

Jen: We need more information on how the RTK applies in this situation. How does it apply when we have so many advisory committees coming together? Once we have the legal setup we can brainstorm.

Paul: Julie (Glover) has access to the municipal association. I will approach Julie and ask what the rules and recommendations are for us and them. I'll draft an email to share with the committee.

Committee: sounds great.

Dean: Would Lee host the minutes?

Paul: It's posted as a meeting of their working group. I sent the agenda to Denise; she physically posted it.

Paul: This will be an addendum to our minutes

Jen: Once they approve the minutes they should send them to Durham, Oyster River and UNH.

Paul: They could be part of our minutes.

Dean: I prefer it by reference. Steve Bullek wrote me an email we should share with RCWG.

### **3B. Budget**

Paul: We still have our \$500 budget; budget untouched at Deliberative Session.

Jen: It was almost like being there.

### **3C. One Bin**

Jen regarding the One Bin Book for the web site: I'm still waiting to resolve a few things before we can finalize the entire book.

Jen: Only two bins to revisit are office paper and magazines. I wanted to give the town a chance to get used to the split thing. They were skeptical at the beginning. Give it time to settle in. Between now and our next meeting I'll go over and check with Steve and how it's going.

I've added all the articles to the book and uploaded the revised book to our drive. Almost done.

Paul: Thank you very much.

### **D. LSC Artisans, Craftspeople and Cottage Industry**

Paul: I started with Erika's draft, moved things around, Jen took a proofreading pass. I have to get it to Chuck and share with the committee.

Committee discussed the draft and reviewed the actual application.

Dean: Put front matter on the first page. One page application.

Paul: I'll put it on the drive. Everybody can make a pass through it the next few days and then I'll give it to the town administrator.

Jen: Will Julie help us fill in the question marks about liability?

Paul: This is where we got hung up last time; it's a big step. Not sure what Julie will say about it.

Chuck: I talked to a few people about the idea: Matt Rowell; Ryan Thompson, international musician; Dave Miner, Don Quigley, wood identification services; Amy Daskal, art lessons. The reception was positive; they thought it was a great idea. The other thing that might work is to add hobbyists and a list of interest groups, bird watching, that type of thing, whatever else is going on in town.

Jen: We might use the word avocation. Something that you do that you're willing to share, not necessarily your paid vocation.

Paul: Each of us think of eight or ten people who might go on that list.

Chuck: That's what we're supposed to do.

#### **IV. New Business**

##### **A. Dean/Paul: Transcription of Minutes**

Dean: Did you turn on the transcription feature? Paul: I'm not sure. Dean: Let's check this time and make sure next time.

##### **IV B. E-Crier articles**

Dean: Winter Heat Waves not drafted yet. Steve still needs to send MSW data for the 4Q transfer station article.

Paul drafted an E-Crier article about the directory. Shared with the committee. We can edit on Google Drive. Paul will email Chuck who doesn't use Google Drive.

Paul: Still trying to figure out a way to get the Lee Well inventory out to people. It's a pdf of the excel spreadsheet sent out by NHDES.

Dean: If we wanted to do this we would write an E-Crier article about knowing your well and refer to this pdf and the NHDES website.

Jen: Excel is easier to use if you know how.

Paul: It's OneStop in NHDES, which is complicated with a lot of pieces to it.

Paul: Our well is 105 feet deep, 10 gallons per minute

Dean: The index has tax lot and map so we could describe how folks get the information using that key.

##### **D. Other N/A**

**V. Public Comments N/A**

**VI. Closing Actions**

**A. Future Meeting Dates**

LSC 3/9/21 7 pm Voting Day

RCWG meeting 3/2/21, 2pm, Zoom

**B. Agenda Planning for Next Meeting**

Paul: will craft an email about the working group to Julie; committee weighs in.

Dean & Chuck: RCWG

Jen: One bin; between now and next meeting check out paper and magazines at transfer station, email Steve, post drafts.

Dean or Paul will send along what Steve Bullek wrote about Lee municipal composting

Paul will share cottage industry stuff on drive.

**VII. Adjournment**

Chuck moved, Dean 2nd. Roll call vote 4-0, Adjourned 8:43 pm

Respectfully Submitted, Dean Rubine