



Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting

Approved Minutes June 8, 2021 7 PM

Virtual Zoom Meeting ID: 923-766-4832 Password: 136658

Link: <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9237664832> or Telephone: 1-646-558-8656

I. Call to Order 7:02 pm

The chair read the COVID-19/Zoom Meeting statement pursuant to the Governor's Emergency Order 12.

Members present: Paul Gasowski (chair), Chuck Cox, Jennifer Messeder, Dean Rubine.

[Roll call attendance, no one else in anyone's room.]

Members absent: N/A

Officials Present: Katrin Kasper, Lee Select Board

Public Present: N/A

II. Preliminary Actions

A. Introductions: Invited Guests N/A

B. Approval of Agenda

No changes.

C. Minutes: Approve Minutes from 5/11/21

Jen moved, Dean 2nd, roll call vote 4-0, approved as amended

D. Correspondence/Events: Katrin: Communication with Public Works Director Steve Bullek

Katrin: I spoke to Steve Bullek. He's down a whole bunch of employees. If we could have it so we have one person at the end of the meeting; if Jen wanted to send him an email, that would be easy for him. Just to limit his attention.

Dean: Can I still get the transfer station data?

Katrin: I got a college student volunteer to come on, he'll help Steve organize -- give him a couple of weeks. He doesn't have time to sit very long right now.

Dean: The RCWG is seeking transfer station data; I have an email in to Steve.

Paul: I agree with Katrin, Steve is short staffed in the highway department and the transfer station. Do we do one person permanently or decide per meeting?

Katrin: Depending on what you want to talk about. Steve mentioned Jen was a good communicator.

Dean: I nominate Jen as our official Steve Liaison.

Katrin: Everything we can do to make his job easier would be great.

Jen: If I'm asking a question on behalf of someone else I want to make sure I understand it.

Katrin: Tomorrow I'm going to a MOM (Member Operations Marketing meeting of the NRRA, our vendor and association for much of our waste and recycling). It meets monthly, helps me help Steve.

E. Other N/A

III. Discussion Items/Updates

A. Dean/Chuck: Municipal Composting Update/RCWG

Dean: The RCWG added 2 student members, Evy Ashburner ORHS and Chloe Gross UNH. Chloe has been given responsibility for executing the business survey. Here's a link to the draft.

DRAFT of RCWG Business Survey

Paul: I made suggestions to reduce the document.

Jen: Is it an automated survey?

Dean: I thought it would be manual.

Paul: They'll come through with another draft and we'll see it again. It's not ready to be shown to the Lee Select Board.

Dean: Yes, we'll get another draft and a chance to run it up the flagpole.

Jen: As long as the working group gives us the next draft.

Paul: I think it has value though it will be really tricky to collect all that data.

Chuck: Next RCWG meeting is Thursday the 17th.

Dean: Can we do this without a future meeting?

Paul: If they want to expedite, they can feed us updated drafts that we can comment on and move to Julie and Select Board .

Dean: We're agreed we could potentially proceed without another meeting but we may need another meeting before approval and distribution to the Select Board and town administrator.

Jen: Should we feedback our questions about the survey to the workgroup? Is it an online or in-person survey? What do they envision the final form?

Dean: In person, I thought; I will ask.

Katrin: In person or on computer; a piece of paper is easily ignored.

[We got into a conversation about draft minutes]

Dean: I thought there was a legal requirement to get drafts in relatively quickly, which is why I send the links to Denise.

Paul: Legally, the draft minutes have to be available on request; Denise fields those requests.

B. Paul: Lee Arts, Crafts and Cottage Industry Directory Update

Paul: I've returned back to old format. Our goal is to get something we can turn to Julie Glover. We're open for edits.

Dean: Do we want this list with checkboxes that asks the applicants to self-classify.

Chuck: The check box page is perhaps for our own reference. There will be a heading that will help people locate business.

Dean: We can make the text searchable. We should do a pilot, try to get going, discover the issues, with a few friendly applicants.

Paul: Jen will make the suggested edits, will share when ready.

Paul: I'll share the checklist again, headed to a pilot as we share with people.

Paul: Katrin, have you established what your relationship with the committee is? Are you allowed to work on social media for us?

Katrin: With respect to social media, I haven't got an answer.

Paul: I'm thinking about other Select Board members and their roles on other committees.

Katrin: I may call the municipal lawyer for a solid answer.

C. Jen: Web Upload of Completed 'One Bin' Book Proof for Web Page

Dean: Kudos -- lots of nice comments on facebook.

Jen: Putting it all together and in one place will be helpful.

Jen: The link will change each time we make edits, that's why I gave the link to our site not the document directly.

D. Jen: Green Burial Update

The Cemetery Trustees haven't posted their May 20 minutes yet; will keep you apprised if they reach out.

E. Paul: Drought Educational Outreach; Water Stewardship Book/E-Crier Articles

Paul: We're teetering on the edge of moderate drought. Denise has been putting a link to the NH drought monitoring site. Just a heads up -- do we want to handle outreach with the drought?

Dean: Except for stepping on Denise's toes, it's our area.

Jen: We can handle water conservation, let Denise handle status updates.

Chuck: We don't have municipal water so we can't regulate that.

Paul: Maybe we can take turns writing pieces; I'll generate a list of possible topics based on Jen's book -- we'll talk about it next time.

Jen: Things that are easy to do that will save water.

Katrin: A different thing each week.

Jen: First section is water quality. Second section is water conservation. Third section is helping other households.

Dean: Practical tips to conserve water.

Jen: Aquacop: finding and fixing water leaks. Aquatech: installing water saving devices.

Paul: We could decide that via email; next week at the earliest; Jen will email the list of conversation topics, we'll each volunteer to write an article on water conservation.

Jen: We can submit those before the next meeting.

Paul: Yes.

F. Other

DRAFT of Glover Letter re. SRPC Membership

[SRPC = Strafford Regional Planning Commission]

Paul: There's the letter we were drafting to Julie Glover. We'd involve other committees.

Jen: Checked site <http://www.strafford.org>.

Katrin: In the Select Board Goals and Objectives meeting they said they weren't getting their \$5000 worth. We still have to pay for things once we pay our dues. Maybe it's a deeper dive I have to take.

Paul: Is the group OK with Katrin exploring, the group exploring SRPC website, see how they could actually provide \$5000 worth of value?

Katrin: We can just pay SRPC for maps without membership; I want to get further facts. They'd still charge us if we were members. There are a lot of benefits that we weren't using; they'll let me know. We're allowed to participate without joining; let's start that way.

Committee concurs.

IV. New Business

A. All: Upcoming E-Crier Articles

Dean: Quarterly Transfer Station Update

Dean: This is overdue; I'm waiting for new data from Steve Bullek. Latest report was thru 3Q2020; by the end of June we'll be three quarters behind.

Katrin: Would you talk to the new intern, Dean?

Dean: Sure, looking forward to it.

Dean: Right to Repair article

I think the right way for us to deal with the issue now is to draft an educational article.

B. All: Educational Outreach-Reducing the Waste Stream

Projects by Steve Bullek at the Transfer Station

Paul: Barrington does TREX, razor blade collection.

Katrin: There's a lot more we could be doing at the transfer station if we had the manpower. I've asked questions about how volunteers could help. They're still trying to staff up. If we as a group wanted to offer volunteer time for sorting. The NRRA are starting to accept more plastics than they used to. We could take more paper but it gets complicated. It's the training. If we were there on Saturday or do a video, because if people don't know what they're doing it becomes contaminated and takes time to resort or is simply ruined. What do we want to do?

Jen: At the last Lee Fair we had a hands-on event: Recycle or no - Where does it go? Are there things that we can recycle now that we haven't covered in One Bin?

Katrin: We can offer to support Steve to recycle some more things. It's hard to transition the town.

Jen: That sounds like education.

Katrin: Every time he changes it people complain; things are changing so rapidly. It would be great if we could be lighter on our feet. It's a question.

Katrin: We need to offer a suggestion; what would it take?

Paul: I just want to make sure he has time and space. Jen will be our liaison for whatever this committee will attempt to do.

Chuck: The swap shop?

Dean: I saw Sally Fleming and Mark Weir are organizing the reopening.

Katrin: The swap shop will open soon.

C. Dean/Chuck: Lee's Trees: Then and Now

Chuck: I'll talk to the Historical Society and figure out how to come up with old pictures of trees. Conservation Commission too.

Paul: I can talk to the Lee Library.

Dean: An immediate goal would be to get a couple of nice old pictures of trees for the brochure.

Jen: We want to roll this out at the Lee Fair.

Katrin: The Historical Society is probably the proper choice, not the Heritage Commission.

Dean: I'll remove references to the Heritage Commission.

Chuck: It says ORCSD elementary school. Do we want to include older students?

Dean: I can approach the sustainability committee at the High School.

Paul: It's Lee's Trees; those students that are Lee residents may participate.

The committee's preference is to keep it like we did last time, elementary schools and Lee residents only.

Paul: The Historical Society role is clear, this would keep them busy. The Library for promotion. The Conservation Commission is a logical connection.

Dean: I'll get the draft brochure out that we can use to introduce the idea to the other committees right away.

D. Paul: COVID and Future Meetings

Paul: This is our last meeting via Zoom. We will meet in person in the future. Where and how? What's everyone's personal comfort level with meeting in person?

Dean: I'm vaccinated and I'm happy to meet with other vaccinated people indoors.

Paul: If you're not comfortable with meeting in person shoot me an email; we can figure out an alternative.

Katrin: The lawyers are working on getting wording for in person meetings with Zoomed-in members.

Katrin: Our town protocol now is meetings are open, folks are vaccinated or masked. I want to make sure immunocompromised people have access.

Paul: Please keep us apprised. I'll schedule an LSC 7/13 meeting with Julie.

Katrin: There's a nice meeting room in the new town hall office.

Paul: We could meet outside.

Jen: Mosquitoes. If we're indoors, we might be able to keep distance and/or wear masks. The more layers of safety the better.

Katrin: We have to remember kids under 12 aren't vaccinated.

E. Dean: Repairability Index/Right to Repair

We decided above that an E-Crier article is the place to start.

F. Other

Chuck: Don't forget to try to bring new members to the meeting

Katrin: We need swap shop volunteers.

V. Public Comments N/A

VI. Closing Actions

A. Future Meeting Dates: 7/13/21, 8/10/21

B. Agenda Planning for Next Meeting

[see above]

VII. Adjournment

Chuck moved, Jen 2nd, Roll call vote 4-0, adjourned 8:49pm

Respectfully Submitted,

Dean Rubine