



**Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting  
Approved Minutes September 14, 2021 7 PM  
2nd Floor Conference Room, Lee Public Safety Complex  
George Bennett Road, Lee, NH**

**Members Present:** Paul Gasowski (chair), Chuck Cox, Jennifer Messeder, Dean Rubine.

**Officials Present:** Katrin Kasper, Lee Select Board

**Public Present:** N/A

**I. Call to Order** 7:05 pm

**II. Preliminary Actions**

**A. Introductions: Guests** N/A

**B. Approval of Agenda**

Add New Business IV E - Lee Library

**C. Minutes: Approve Minutes from 8/10/21**

[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rly8u7R2bT-vRgXoUENyGH6Beo\\_oRM9V/edit](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rly8u7R2bT-vRgXoUENyGH6Beo_oRM9V/edit)

Jen moved, Chuck second, 4-0 in favor, 8/10/21 minutes approved as amended.

**D. Correspondence/Events: Jared Despain, Phyllis White, Lou Grondin, Steve Bullek, Ryan Tirrell**

[https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1DbnRQRhlgXgiRFoTp\\_IVqJS6K2m089cm](https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1DbnRQRhlgXgiRFoTp_IVqJS6K2m089cm)

Paul received an email after the last meeting from Jared Despain, representing a firm to inquire about where the public water supplies are in Lee. Paul turned it over to Caren Rossi; they're spraying insecticides near public water supplies; copied the Chief of Police, who said it was expected.

Lou Grondin will do the Meet and Greet event Sept 25th for electric cars Revision Energy is a cosponsor. Lou thanked us for our ideas and support.

Katrin: We offered masks at the fair which were well received.

Paul: I had communication with Public Works Director Steve Bullek. Steve took exception to Dean communicating with the intern directly.

Dean: That was done with the approval of the LSC after two discussions which included a Selectperson, in our two prior meetings. The committee's intention was to avoid bothering Director Bullek, who has more important things to do. The recycling/MSW data we're asking for is an update to a public record we've received several times before.

#### **E. Other: Katrin: Town Administrator Search Update**

Katrin: We're doing final interviews with department heads for the new town administrator.

### **III. Discussion Items/Updates**

#### **A. Dean/Chuck: Municipal Composting Update/RCWG**

Chuck: Next meeting undetermined.

Dean: I was not at the last (August 26) meeting. Previously Maggie Morrison mentioned the plan to create Sustainable Durham and Oyster River -- expand to Oyster River.

Paul: What are their plans?

Jen: If it's going to be owned by Durham, they can make their own website; we can suggest.

Katrin: They can have their stuff; with links.

Paul: At least five entities; three towns, school dist, university could be part of this.

Katrin: Two different things; one for Durham, one for Oyster River.

Chuck: Working together is what we need to do. We need to support the idea of working together.

Kittery is introducing a composting program for food waste through Mr. Fox; article in Fosters.

Paul: I went to the transfer station today and Steve Bullek wanted me to know that the compost from the fair was rejected by Mr. Fox. Animals then got into it and made a mess.

Chuck: It was too much paper; paper plates and napkins went in. Less paper might have taken.

Paul: I wasn't connected with it.

Dean: I wanted to play a role but I was busy with a prior commitment.

Paul: In retrospect we should have communicated with someone that we weren't planning to help with composting.

Katrin: Inquired with Mr. Fox.

**Dean/Chuck: Municipal Composting Update/RCWG Chloe Gross's Report**  
[https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1hVUf\\_tMlPoaVryhiTWtbSCJi2EwOe8qh](https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1hVUf_tMlPoaVryhiTWtbSCJi2EwOe8qh)

The LSC received Chloe Gross's Report.

Paul: I was impressed with Chloe's report; three or four times she mentioned the work Lee did with outreach. At the top of the list was educational outreach. Fix it, Use less, etc.

Jen: Mentions LSC three or four times; in summary.

Paul: Start with trying to modify behavior. We've done a number of things that are good.

Paul: What do we want our representatives to report back?

Paul: What if their (RCWG) conclusion is that it's about outreach, not composting?

Chuck: There have been differences within the committee. Nell Neil wants to get into compost. Others want to do education, other alternatives.

Dean: I wasn't surprised that the two education institutions want to have an educational component.

Jen: Based on this report, RCWG will make recommendations. Can we have a document on Google Drive where we make suggestions?

Chuck: The RCWG hasn't gone through and analyzed their direction yet; we're still in the formulating stage. Next meeting Monday or Tuesday Sept 27 or 28.

Dean: Document idea seems great.

Jen: I can organize the document.

Paul: I conveyed to Chloe in an email that I was really impressed. She seemed to have a really rich experience.

**B. Paul: Lee Arts, Crafts and Cottage Industry Directory Update**

Paul: Nothing new to report on the Cottage Industry Directory; on hold until there's a town administrator and life in the global world settles down.

**C. Dean/Paul: Lee's Trees: Then and Now Update**

[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1njpLtAXVXHx24ypE\\_o9BP9-y4ODiTKgq/edit](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1njpLtAXVXHx24ypE_o9BP9-y4ODiTKgq/edit)

Paul: Before our meeting Scott Bugbee came down and spoke with us about the pictures and the exchange with us for Lee's Trees: Then and Now. The Heritage Commission is planning to use the Past and Present theme for next year's calendar. The feeling was that the two themes may complement each other.

Add the Heritage Commission to the sponsor list. Is the Conservation Commission in as a co-sponsor? -- need to recheck.

Dean: They posted those tree pictures. I gave Catherine the brochures.

Paul: Cord Blomquist said the Heritage Commission is doing a calendar.

Dean will talk to Cord about using those posted pictures

Katrin: Trees in the Fall.

Paul: Something short in the E-Crier this week; launch next week.

Dean will write a couple of sentences teasing Lee Trees: Then and Now with a tree picture.

Dean: Plan to publish a teaser this Friday; launch by next Friday.

Paul: It was a pleasant meeting at the Annex with the Historical Society.

**D. Jen: Steve Bullek and Transfer Station Update**

Jen: I reached out to Steve to offer help. I ran the mixed-paper article by him. Not a lot of response.

**E. Jen: Green Burial Update**

Jen: I haven't heard back from Jeff Liporto. Paul: I think he responded. Jen: What did he say?

Paul: He thanked you for the inquiry and said they didn't have the facilities to do that at this time.

**F. Katrin: SRPC Update**

Katrin: Strafford Regional Planning Commission; Ten year plan being set in stone; got called in to deal with wastewater. Lots of research about eel grass and water quality; what Dover did to make sure runoff didn't pollute. Scope and scale of the work to try to not let the nitrogen get into the water in the first place, it's so detrimental to the bay. Hard to hear; big room; echos; in the future I'll show up in person. Waiting to see the price of the work we need to digitize the town files; if it's more than Strafford RPC dues, we'll join. Denise is checking.

**G. Other** N/A

#### **IV. New Business**

##### **A. All: Upcoming E-Crier Articles**

##### **Dean: “Right to Repair” Educational Article**

Paul: Do we want to run it again?

Dean: We have two other things for this week.

##### **Jen: “One Bin at a Time: Mixed Paper”**

[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SYBc6\\_dW\\_7FmRMx1N9juqFEM2zTX-blV/edit](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SYBc6_dW_7FmRMx1N9juqFEM2zTX-blV/edit)

Jen: Mixed paper article. Paul suggested segue between text at the top and the end.

Jen: Saw news about the price of paper going up; not sure why the mixed paper was changed. Lots of effort at the transfer station staff.

Katrin: We should do the right thing and not track the market.

Dean: We don't track that much. Steve made this change.

Paul: Two entries this week to E-Crier: Mixed paper and tease Lee Trees.

##### **“Lee’s Trees: Then and Now”**

[see above]

##### **B. FY23 Budget: LSC Requests, Dedicated Committee/Commission Hard Drive**

Paul: I’m slated to appear September 28. Last year we put in for \$500 and they ended up raising it. On my mind is how to solve the hard drive problem. How does the town have a place for the committees and commissions to do work and exchange work? It came up awkwardly this week; I barely understand Google. I have no clue what capabilities are. When the ‘Right to Repair’ came through as a Google document it looked like it showed my stuff.

Paul: The town needs to solve the problem to help committees and commissions out. It shouldn't be residing on my hard drive.

Katrin: ABC tonight had some conversation as to where to put documents.

Paul: We would be doing this on behalf of all committees and commissions.

Katrin: We want more security in town computer systems.

Dean will research online document solutions for town committees in time for the budget request.

Katrin: The school board has this problem. You should talk to them.

How much did you use before? We didn't spend any money this year. Jen got reimbursed for something small. Snacks at the Grange.

Jen: This is the July 22 to June 23 budget proposal? From July of 21 through June of 22 we probably won't spend much. Next fall for the fair is this budget.

Paul: I'll put up what I requested last year. Dean will think about the budget for document hosting.

Dean: I'll start a report.

### **C. All: Collaborating and Sharing Programs with Other Towns/Organizations**

Paul: I saw this in Chloe's report; also in Maggie Morrison / Sustainable Durham website idea.

Dean: I think it would be great to share content with our neighbors.

Chuck: It's what it's all about.

Jen: Thanks for the request; I've copied the committee; we'll discuss it at the next meeting.

Paul: Communication is the key; I'll leave this on the agenda. If RCWG is interested in sharing programs, are we interested in working with them?

Jen: We'll consider each offer or request as it comes in.

### **D. All: COVID and Future Meetings**

Katrin: Lots of work trying to get things to happen; not much we can do. Committees still have to have an in-person quorum. Strafford County says its 1/3 + 1. Town thinks its 1/2 + 1.

Paul: Is the town talking about going remote?

Katrin: I bring it up at Select Board meetings; not much support.

Katrin: I got servers at the BBQ to wear masks, queues to social distance.

Jen: The closer we get to cold and flu season, indoor season, vaccine wearing out season, new variant season, as time goes on I get less comfortable meeting in person.

Chuck: I'm comfortable in person; have to wait and see. The Friends had been meeting virtually, started meeting at the meeting house, now back to Zoom. This is a small group.

Dean: I would rather not but I'll do it.

Katrin: The governor has made it impossible not to meet in person.

Paul: Annie and I are paying attention, my question is if we decide that we want to go remote, will the town reactivate Zoom?

Katrin: As a committee we're part of the town; we can't because of the quorum ability. The state has taken away our ability to meet remotely. We must comply.

We had a special exception that allowed us to have Zoom meetings that the governor put in place. That was revoked in June. From that moment on we're supposed to have meetings in person. I'll ask again but it's state mandated.

Paul: What if an unmasked person comes to a meeting?

Katrin: I would say that the group has to make the decision as to whether they want to hold their meeting. There is no mandate to wear a mask but the committee may adjourn the meeting anytime with a vote.

Jen: Last time I looked, Durham had over 100 active cases.

The committee is OK with Paul drafting a letter to the Select Board.

#### **E. Other - Library**

Paul: There's money available from COVID ARPA fund. \$400,000 coming to town. The town can decide how to expend that. Then there's competitive money, minimum of \$10,000. One of the library trustees, Emily Woodall, did some research on the requirements for this grant, deadline Oct 1, came up with some ideas for the trustees. One involved sustainability, one involved a tool loaning library, also Fix It / Mend It workshop--different name, uses QR codes. Presently nothing adds up to \$10,000.

Katrin: Updating computers adds to over \$10,000.

Paul: There's a device called the OWL; a sound sensitive camera and audio device. Possible use for Select Board meetings.

Dean: Those never seemed worth the money to me when everyone has a phone and tablet or laptop.

Katrin: Trying to get meetings live, participation from home.

Paul: Matt Rowell's Tool Library idea ran into liability concerns.

Katrin: Epping had a tool lending thing but it stopped; we should find out why.

Jen: A maker space has to deal with this.

Paul: An equipped maker space.

Chuck: Administration to oversee it is \$10,000. New librarian; Ruth leaving.

Paul: They're taking applications.

Chuck: They've really built up the agricultural collection.

Paul: I haven't borrowed a book in a while; just did last night.

Paul: I'll pass along the thoughts to Annie; trustees meeting tomorrow night.

#### **V. Public Comments N/A**

#### **VI. Closing Actions**

##### **A. Future Meeting Dates: 10/12/21**

Probably live, 7 pm Lee Town Hall 1st Floor.

##### **B. Agenda Planning for Next Meeting**

[see above]

#### **VII. Adjournment**

Dean moves to adjourn; Chuck 2nd; 4-0, adjourned 8:54

**Please email '[sustain@leenh.org](mailto:sustain@leenh.org)' if you have suggestions, comments or questions. Thanks!**

Respectfully submitted, Dean Rubine