



**Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting
Approved Minutes October 12, 2021 7 PM
1st floor Meeting Room, Lee Public Safety Complex
George Bennett Road, Lee, NH**

Members present: Paul Gasowski (chair), Chuck Cox, Jennifer Messeder, Dean Rubine.

Public Present: Sandi Jenkins

I. Call to Order 7:00 pm

II. Preliminary Actions

A. Introductions: Invited Guests N/A

B. Approval of Agenda

Paul: Let's move IV A to the front as Sandi's here now. [Discussion moved forward but recorded under IV A below.]

Jen: please add to IV B Other: Updates to One Bin book.

Changes agreed to without a vote.

C. Minutes: Approve Minutes from 9/14/21

Dean: I didn't finish cleaning them up.

Approval tabled to the next meeting.

D. Correspondence/Events: Steve Bullek, Ryan Tirrell, Catherine Fisher, Misty Lowe,

Paul: Public Works Director Steve Bullek sent an email. He's part of the solid waste committee for the state, which is coming with the new municipal composting rules. I said all of us should

help out. I haven't heard from him since then. He said there would be a tight timeline. He'd have one week to review.

Dean: September or October? I thought the rules by law were due September 30, but I haven't seen them announced.

Paul: I'll check. Since we've discussed it at a meeting and agreed that we'd like to participate, we can all respond when Steve sends us documents.

Committee concurs.

Paul: Ryan Tirell, an architect on the middle school project, is working on art for the building. I talked to him about LSC and OR Sustainability contributions. I invited him to contact the Conservation Commission and Ag Commission in town; I don't know if he did. Julie Glover was going to help make those connections, but she left. I gave him what we had. He'll design a permanent mural that will be in the main entry area of the middle school.

Paul: Catherine Fisher sent a note, saying she'd like to work with the Elementary kids re Lee's Trees. Mast Way Principal Misty Lowe said she'd contact teachers, get back to us. No response from David Goldsmith, Moharimet principal.

Paul: Good response at LSC Facebook page. A Mr. McBeans applied, didn't know him, sent email, he never replied, so I didn't admit him.

E. Other: Katrin: Town Administrator Search Update

Katrin is in an Advisory Budget Committee meeting now.

Sandi: I understand a new town administrator has been chosen, Andrew Robertson, unofficially announced on NeighborLEE. He lives in Deerfield and is well known in town for farm insurance.

III. Discussion Items/Updates

A. Dean/Paul: Lee's Trees: Then and Now Update/Next Steps

Dean: I got it out a couple of weeks ago as planned and haven't touched it. I hope to do a sample submission soon and curate more old tree photos.

Paul: I made posters, printed brochures. Left some at Town Hall and the library. Not too many picked up at last check. No entries to date.

Dean: Let's keep posting reminders. I'll resubmit the announcement to E-Crier, repost.

Paul: Dean and I will do sample submissions, everyone else is welcome.

B. Dean/Chuck: RCWG Update/Municipal Composting Jen/All: Comments/Key Takeaways from Chloe Gross's Report

Dean: Chloe wanted to prepare a more public-friendly version of her report. She requested from us a town-specific executive summary of what we'd like included. The next meeting is Monday November 25 at 4:15.

Paul: I've been reviewing the report, pulling quotes. My idea is to give a flavor about where the report goes.

Jen: I haven't talked to Steve Bullek about anything lately. I've been swamped.

Chuck: A number of states and municipalities in the area are demanding composting. Can't landfill this stuff (food waste). Part of this group is looking at how to compost now versus education, legislation, rules, encouraging people to compost their own stuff. Everyone in Lee has a two acre minimum lot; we should be able to compost locally. Education, explore other alternatives. I have talked to farmers in the area. They're interested in what would happen. Many compost their own materials. They're iffy about taking outside material. Flag Hill is using their pigs / mash, trying to get cyclical in their operation. I missed the last meeting.

Sandi: I do composting, vermiculture. Talked to Maria Barth. I like the idea of having a common composting site for the town; wondering how that would work. Some people are doing it individually at their homes. Are people going to separate their compost materials?

Dean: We already have a Transfer Station Compost program via Mr. Fox; people drop off food waste in bins just outside past the landfill bin.

Jen: I compost at home but compost meat and dairy debris with the town.

Paul: Us too.

Dean: We compost at home, including meat and dairy, run through the chickens first whenever possible,

Jen: I put a template of Chloe's report, a google doc header, which follows the report. Please use it to put down your thoughts.

Paul: I'll generate comments.

Dean: I'll give it a few days then use it to generate a draft executive summary from Lee for Chloe.

Paul: I will contact Steve tomorrow about the compost rules and the dates.

Dean: Another issue is Durham pickup versus Lee Transfer Station deposit.

Paul: More people in Lee are getting trash pickup. Shipyard Waste does about 5 of 40 homes in our neighborhood. No compost separation required.

Dean: Comments welcome.

C. Paul: Lee Arts, Crafts and Cottage Industry Directory Update

[Covered in Sandi discussion, see IV A below]

D. Jen/Paul: Steve Bullek and Transfer Station Update

Jen: No news beyond the compost rules process already discussed.

E. Paul: LSC FY23 Budget Presentation

Paul: I went to the ABC/Select Board meeting, presented a budget, discussed storage drives and repositories for committees/commissions in Lee. They were excited about the idea of getting that to happen. I offered that our committee would continue to work on it and follow up with them. Dean will continue to extend the report; others can help.

Paul: Goal is to centralize town committee data, less on personal devices, accounts. Town is on Microsoft.

Dean: Do you know what they have?

Paul: I can check; we're one of the few committees that use a town email address, provided through Microsoft. We're limited as a committee as to what we can use. Back Bay is their support service. They handle the archiving and public access as required.

Dean will continue the report. Sandi if you have ideas, feel free to share.

F. Katrin: SRPC Update

N/A - Katrin is still busy with ABC.

G. Dean/Chuck: Energy Committee Electric Car and Solar Power 'Meet and Greet'

Dean: It was a great event. It was good to talk about electric cars and solar power. Electric car owners report the available ranges and charging options are increasing the practicality of ownership. Eventually buying a gas car will be the novelty. I finally met Jim Banks.

Chuck: We have a Volt hybrid. My son has a deposit on an electric F150. We have other electric power vehicles -- golf carts, 3 wheelers. My son converted an ATV to electric. We have

solar. Going to battery powered chainsaws, weed wackers, snow blowers, etc. Landscaping is going electric.

IV. New Business

A. Sandi Jenkins: Proposed Craft/Artisan Fair 11/6/21

Paul: Sandi is a former student of mine at Oyster River. She sent an email with an interest in putting together a craft fair in Little River Park early November.

Sandi: It's an aggressive timeline to get to Nov 6. I'm happy to be invited. I see the value of putting together something to the town for artisans and craftsmen. I had a conversation with Mr. Cox last week. Fair was cancelled; no farmer's market due to COVID. Sparked my interest to get a craft fair going. I really wanted to do it Nov 6. I'll be in Europe in November. Probably not feasible. Mr. Cox mentioned the Sustainability Committee might be willing to sponsor or help out. It really is close to the LSC's work.

I'm retired. I'm a full time artist. I hear people want a forum to get together. So I want to explore it, see what the LSC's up to. Don't think I'll make 11/6. Here to offer assistance. Perhaps in the spring. Plan to get events going that we'd assist on.

Paul: Thank you. Please see the printouts of the plan, cottage industry index. We're interested in running a pilot to see how well the form we designed holds up. Then we'd get people to come forward. The second sheet is the introduction letter and application form to be listed.

Sandi: This mimics what the Ag Commission has done?

Paul: Yes. I helped design Ag brochures, based on work done near Canterbury. Two purposes: list farmers, food producers in Lee, to map that, to support local food, and to develop a local economy around that. It was expensive, with ads. Cost \$1000 for 1000 copies, ads offset cost. We won't go that route for this project; going digital, essentially free, very mobile. We've been working through the steps to try to get it to something that would work. This is a serendipitous conversation. Maybe we can think about how we can work together.

Dean: I like the idea of a craft party as an occasion to sign folks up for the directory in person.

Sandi: I talked to Caren Rossi, Erick Sawtelle; he knew some interested crafters in town. I'll reach out; see if I can get a group together. There are probably quite a few crafters in town that are interested or making things that we don't know about. We can put a group together just from talking to folks, an event would be easier.

Jen: I agree, maybe in the spring. We were going to do an Earth Day thing a year and half ago; maybe they'd tie together.

Paul: COVID did in the Earth Day plan, back burner.

Chuck: This idea of the craft fair fits into our purpose at LSC. The Ag Commission had the Backyard Farming series, stopped by COVID, no online push for that type of thing. Crafts fair will be a great way to get people involved with arts and crafts, and fits into our index we're trying to put together. I'm fully supportive. It depends on where you get into the distinction between crafts and business -- fine line -- will straighten itself out. The town needs to know other people with businesses that aren't strictly arts and crafts.

Paul: We did have discussions about how we'd distinguish between cottage industry versus small businesses not generated locally.

Sandi: As I think about the Farmer's Market on Thursday, there are people making maple syrup or honey, which I consider an art, or felted wool or Tina Sawtelle's flowers. I can see a really nice sort of blend of those sorts of things. I would love it if we just had artisans from Lee. No Tupperware sales. Best of all worlds: Organic and made in Lee.

Paul: Matt Rowell had an idea of starting a mentorship program to identify people who might want to teach others to do things. We never were able to satisfy the legal / liability requirements that the town had in mind. We never gave up on the idea -- this is a different version of that type of thing. When Julie Glover was here she had liability, other concerns. She wasn't a firm no. When the Fair happens and the vendors come, the vendors aren't commissions of the town; they need their own liability insurance. Nov 6 would be awfully quick to work out the problems.

Sandi: It's too aggressive. I appreciate being invited here. I know people in town. I've lived here my whole life. I'm retired. I was going to be a vendor for the first time at the fair this year. Maybe this is my thing that I can contribute to. If it dovetails with what you're doing, that's serendipitous.

Paul: I, and if I'm reading them correctly, the group supports this. Can we partner on the gathering of names of craftspeople? Is there a way, once we get a list going, to invite people to come pick up materials if they're interested? At a location. With the idea of an event in the spring. How does the group feel about a fair?

Chuck: We've done the Fix It Workshops; this is similar. People who haven't been making things can see what others are doing.

Paul: If the pandemic is lightening up, maybe we can do it indoors.

Sandi: Where would we do that?

Jen: Mast Way?

Paul: Policies would have to change. We haven't approached that. We were working with the high school, other groups to try to put together the Earth Day Fair two springs ago.

Sandi: Can we use the old Town Hall or the Grange?

Paul: It's difficult for us to do functions at other venues for insurance reasons. The library will use Old Town Hall. It's a useful thing for distribution. I'll check on venues.

Paul: We did Fix It / Mend It Workshop in 2019. Nonprofit, outside vendors. We weren't allowed hands-on. People could observe but they couldn't do it themselves. Prescreened activities.

Dean: Lou put the energy fair together in just a few weeks.

Paul: They had their event, outside, mostly unmasked. Lou scaled back his event, plans to do something larger in the future.

Sandi: I just got the vendor list yesterday; it's not clear who's a crafter and who isn't. So Nov 6 is out and I'm away most of November.

Paul: We can find out what can happen indoors at this point in time. What the possibilities are. I take a conservative posture on things. We can contact the school district.

Sandi: In the meantime I'll start trying to put a list together over the next couple of weeks to be ready.

Paul: Would you be interested in sharing the form we have developed for the directory?

Chuck: We need Sandi to join our LSC.

Sandi: [not committing to anything until December.]

Paul: We'll make this a regular part of the agenda and put you in our email chain. I'll ask about indoor stuff with the school district and town. You'll keep working on a list. We'll look for a way to hand out some stuff with the idea of doing a larger indoor event when we can.

Paul: Town is easing their way into Facebook; set up some policies. Caren Rossi is managing the town posts.

Sandi: I've seen Conservation Committee posts, small business Saturday. I could send something out to vendors and ask who's interested on NeighborLEE.

Paul: That would work. We're trying to keep it to Lee.

Jen: "Made in Lee" might be the dividing point.

Paul: Thanks for coming and helping us figure out the next step for our directory.

Sandi: Thanks for inviting me. I remember when I was younger there was so much more community. We had gatherings. This is a good way to try to get back to that.

Chuck: The basis of the sustainability thing is building that community and doing things locally.

Paul: COVID through a wrench in things.

B. All: Upcoming E-Crier Articles

Dean: “Lee’s Trees: Then and Now,”

Dean will run Lee’s Trees again in E-Crier.

Dean: “Am I Clean Yet?” Water Conservation Outreach:

Dean: Back burner. Less urgent now that we’re out of the woods on the drought.

Other: Updates to One Bin book

Jen: One Bin needed an update; I redid the book. I put it on Google drive for comment. I reworked the book, including other bin write-ups, to reflect the return to mixed paper collection.

Paul: We’ll comment; you’ll ask Town Secretary Denise Duval to repost at the Lee site when ready.

Jen: Unfortunately Denise said the URL changes when we repost. Old links break instead of pointing to the updated document.

Dean: We should update the links we know about when the time comes.

Other

Jen: Reader’s Digest had an article on farm equipment, Right to Repair.

Paul: I had to replace a battery; Verizon tried to sell me a new phone. I replaced the battery using 3rd party repair.

B. Paul/Dean: Dedicated Committee/Commission Hard Drive Discussion

[See III.C. Budget discussion above.]

C. All: Collaborating and Sharing Programs with Other Towns/Organizations

Dean: Durham is launching a Sustainability site. I don't know if it's up; I haven't checked it out. They asked through the RCWG if it was ok to repost RCWG minutes currently hosted by Lee. They're public so I said yes.

Paul: That's a positive change in their approach toward minutes.

D. All: COVID and Future Meetings

Paul: We still don't know if a quorum is 2 or 3.

Paul: The town doesn't support Zoom anymore; we could use our own Zoom for 40 minutes; break in between. Denise and I went back and forth.

Dean: Speakerphone rules have been a long time part of New Hampshire meeting law, so we could do that. Cell phones count as speakerphones. Does Zoom?

E. Other N/A

V. Public Comments N/A

VI. Closing Actions

A. Future Meeting Dates: 11/9/21

7 pm here.

B. Agenda Planning for Next Meeting

as above

VII. Adjournment

Dean moved, Jen 2nd, 4-0 in favor adjourned 8:37 pm

Please email 'sustain@leenh.org' if you have suggestions, comments or questions. Thanks!

Respectfully submitted, Dean Rubine