



**Lee Sustainability Committee Meeting Minutes
December 14, 2021 7 PM**

Members present: Paul Gasowski (chair), Chuck Cox, Jennifer Messeder, Dean Rubine

Officials Present: Katrin Kasper

Public Present: N/A

I. Call to Order 7:03

II. Preliminary Actions

A. Introductions: Guests N/A

B. Approval of Agenda

Chuck moved, Jen 2nd, approved 4-0.

C. Minutes: Approve Minutes from 11/9/21

Jen moved, Chuck 2nd, 11/9/21 minutes approved 4-0

D. Correspondence/Events: Steve Bullek, Sandi Jenkins, Andy Robertson, Rebecca Perkins-Kwoka, Mike Nork

Sen. Kwoka and Mike Nork correspondence was in the 2021 11 09 minutes. Other correspondence is covered below.

E. Other: N/A

III Discussion

**A. Paul/Sandi: Lee Arts, Crafts and Cottage Industry Directory Update
Date/Planning for Artisan/Craft Fair at Mast Way**

Paul: I sent Sandi the Fix It/Mend It Workshop documents as a model. The COVID trends are terrible. December & January are out. February, the School District will be occupied moving into the new middle school, which opens at the end of February vacation. Lots going on. Daylight savings time begins March 13. That would be a good week, St Patrick's Day, before religious holidays. Let's look at March 19 as the date. If COVID is this bad we shouldn't do it.

But plan for the Mast Way gym. If it's OK, we'll book a date. We'll follow the School District's policy regarding COVID.

Jen: We also need to keep weather in mind. We can still get snow in March. These days, I always say, "weather and COVID permitting."

Paul: I'll communicate with Sandi and the School District about that date.

B. Dean/Chuck: RCWG Update/Municipal Composting. Review/Comment on RCWG Final Report Draft

Paul: Jen suggested we talk about the Lee Recommendations section.

Chuck: We recommend that Steve Bullek gets the community composting.

Dean: The recommendations are pretty much that Lee is doing the right thing now, and we should keep doing it and do more of it. That includes campaigns to reduce food waste generated and to increase the amount of food waste diverted from the landfill bin to home compost or Mr. Fox. We recommend exploring two other vendors besides Mr. Fox, perhaps in collaboration with Durham, UNH and ORCSD. We had the "Table to Farm" idea where we direct food waste to Lee farms that want it for composting, keeping the town out of it as much as possible. There were other recommendations to gather data and periodically report.

The committee discussed the Lee recommendations in the RCWG final report. Directed edits to separate out "reduce food waste" as the first recommendation, and explore more than just the financial aspects of a municipal compost operation in Lee (e.g. can the Transfer Station be used as a site), as well as some additional changes.

Dean: I'll make those changes.

Katrin: Lee is getting their own truck for hauling.

Dean: If that significantly lowers our MSW, hauling costs it will once again make composting food waste at the Transfer Station more expensive than landfilling it.

Jen: The updated composting rules aren't finalized law yet. With regard to the Working Group recommendations, should Lee wait until after the revised NH-DES rules solidify to make recommendations?

Dean: Maggie Morrison's term as ORCSD Sustainability Coordinator ends December 31 and I don't believe there's been a replacement named. Without Maggie there's no ORCSD representation in the working group.

Paul: Let's discuss that after the report.

Chuck moved, Jen 2nd, to accept the Lee recommendations as revised. 4-0. (Katrin won't be voting pending clarification of the rules.)

Paul: What was going to be an executive summary became a long document. I suggested people try their hands at revision. Now there are three drafts, three possible ways to go at this. Chloe Gross's report was central to everything that happened in the RCWG, and it is not sufficiently represented in the report draft.

Chuck: The purpose of Gross report was to gather information about some of the sources of feedstock material, restaurants, not many in Lee. Her report was used as part of her academic work, so she had certain things that she included with respect to that. I don't think that her report was the central work of the RCWG. It was data gathering, things we didn't know that we wanted to learn. When it came to decide whether we were going to set up a compost system or focus on education, her report wasn't the central thing.

Paul: In the final report of the working group, how should the report be mentioned and credited?

Dean: I believe it's referenced four or five times in the long draft from me and Chloe.

Chuck: As her work was gathering information, it should be included as it does supply a lot of background as to what the RCWG was doing. Include her full report or summarize?
That's what we (the RCWG) are going to decide on Monday.

Jen: Another option would be a short summary with Chloe's report as an appendix.

Chuck: The full report is available.

Dean: A while ago I believe it was Ms. Gross who suggested that the Gross report was not intended or suitable for general public consumption and the RCWG agreed.

Jen: When I have multiple versions of something, I like to take a piece of this and a piece of that to make a better, combined version.

Jen: Can we discuss Maggie's leaving? Is there a possibility for the work to continue next year?

Paul: When I was chair of the ORCSD Sustainability Committee, we developed a plan on how the committee would evolve, and how sustainability would evolve within the School District. Building level coordinators, building level committees, would become part of the regular operating budget, and the work of the ORCSD Sustainability Committee would be a line item in the budget. We established advisory standing for the committee with the School Board, on a path toward evolving four building-level coordinators with the building-level committees offering oversight. Eventually they would be subsumed into the School District. The building level coordinators got axed, now there's one coordinator, and several building-level committees. I think they whittled it away, thinking it would become part of the curriculum. In all honesty I didn't know this was happening. There was a mention of this back in August. For the first

several years, we were meeting monthly and they established a steering committee, meeting only four times a year.

Paul: Is it OK with the LSC if I call Maggie Morrison to find out why she's leaving?

Jen: I was starting to worry whether the School District is letting go of sustainability, which would be too bad. It would be good information for the LSC to know if there's going to be a single point person. We like to cooperate with the schools on sustainability.

Paul: We could invite someone representing the School District to talk to us about the current situation. Where are you going and what could we do to help?

Dean: We probably should review the School Board minutes to determine what the current situation is.

Katrin: It's fine to ask who we're working with. I've worked with Denise Day. January is budget season.

Paul: I could talk to Maggie and Superintendent Jim Morse.

Paul: We'll look at School Board minutes, make contact with Maggie, contact Jim Morse. With regard to these three drafts of the report, I suggest the RCWG consider all three.

Jen: As the report will go before the four entities' recommendations, a general consensus of the LSC is that shorter would be good. We want to make sure that Chloe's report is referenced often, to keep her work from getting lost. The LSC leaves the details to the RCWG as to how it gets that done.

[Committee concurs]

Dean: Chuck and I will represent the LSC's view to the RCWG. We will ask the RCWG to choose among the three drafts and explore an extension into next year. As for the length, the RCWG wanted the report to reflect the work of the RCWG and said individual organizations are free to excerpt.

C. Jen: Steve Bullek - Update Composting Rules Revisions and Transfer Station Activity

Jen: I forwarded this committee's notes to Steve. He wasn't planning to go to the hearing on Dec 13.

Paul: What do we do with our comments?

Dean: I think we discovered some good stuff and we should send them along.

Paul: Jen do you have time to review what we did and clean it up by Monday?

Jen: Yes. I'll try to get a version tomorrow night to share with the LSC and we'll get them emailed to the NH DES by the Dec 20 deadline.

[committee concurs]

Dean: I'd still like to get that Transfer Station data to extend our E-Crier reports.

Jen: I'm hesitant to reach out to Steve. I ask if there's anything we can help him with, but I don't get a reply. I know he's very busy.

Katrin: We're trying to get Steve help, especially with the paperwork. We're trying to get an administrator. We're putting it in the budget.

D. Dean/Paul: Lee's Trees: Then and Now Update/Next Steps

Dean: Do we want to extend the deadline?

Paul: Let's put a reminder on Facebook. Ask Andy to post it more prominently. The contest is over on Dec 31.

[committee concurs]

E. Paul: LSC FY23 Budget Update

Paul: There's no new information.

F. Katrin: SRPC Update

Katrin: Strafford Regional Planning Commission, they came and talked to us [at a Select Board meeting]. There are lots of ways SRPC would save us money. ABC put in a recommendation to put it in the next budget. Sooner would be better. We've been missing large opportunities, for want of \$5000 dues. We had Colin all set to talk with us about getting the bike paths – but since we're not members, they can't do free things for us. SRPC will be integral in directing millions of dollars from the Federal infrastructure bill, CARES Act, ARPA, etc. They are in the middle of a 10-year plan that Lee is not a part of. The annual dues are a small amount of money that will pay itself back tenfold, twentyfold.

IV. New Business

A. All: Upcoming E-Crier Articles

Jen: Nothing in the pipeline.

Katrin: Lee's Trees.

Paul: I'll do that.

B. Paul/Dean: Dedicated Committee/Commission Hard Drive Options

Katrin: It's in the budget, not sure for how long.

Dean: I haven't finished that report.

D. All: Specific Programs to Share with Other Towns/Organizations

Jen: We have a draft email template out for review; see email from November 18, 2021.

Paul: Jen will resend sharing email.

Jen: OK. This email is specific to One Bin at a Time.

E. All: COVID and Future Meetings

NH meetings require an in-person quorum, believed to be three people for us, remainder may participate remotely.

V. Public Comments N/A

VI. Closing Actions

A. Future Meeting Dates:

January 11th, 2022, 7pm, Lee Safety Complex

February 8th, 2022, 7pm, Lee Safety Complex

March 1, 2022 (March 8 is Election Day)

B. Agenda Planning for Next Meeting

As above

VII. Adjournment

Chuck moved, Jen 2nd, 4-0 Adjourned 8:52 pm

Please email 'sustain@leenh.org' if you have suggestions, comments or questions. Thanks!

Respectfully submitted, Dean Rubine