



**Lee Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes
April 11, 2023; 7 PM**

Members Present: Dean Rubine (Chair), Chuck Cox, Paul Gasowski

Members Absent: N/A

Officials Present: N/A

Officials Absent: Katrin Kasper, Selectperson

Public Present: Sandi Jenkins

I. Call to Order: 7:03 pm

Introductions, guests: Welcome back, Sandi

II. Public Comments: N/A

III. Preliminary Actions

A. Approval of Agenda

B. Approval of Minutes 3/21/2023

Reviewed and accepted edits to the draft minutes. Paul moved, Chuck 2nd. 3-0 vote. 3/21 minutes approved as amended .

C. Correspondence

- ORHS Community Dinner April 13 5-6:30
- Portsmouth Sustainability Fair Friday April 21 4-7pm 115 Connie Ave
Portsmouth Connie Bean

D. Other: N/A

IV. Old Business

A. Paul / Sandi - Made in Lee Artisan Fair – May 13, 2023

Sandi: Giclee artist Mike Fleming won't be attending. Couple of other people came on board Sent Paul a message re tables: 11 tables, now need 13 tables, including 2 for the library and one for sustainability committee.

Paul: We just need to be in the ballpark in advance, there's a lot of flexibility. It's easier for the custodian to rack it up and have it ready.

Sandi: We haven't been talking about the length of tables. Last year we had a bunch of 8 foot tables, one six foot, a couple of four feet. 8 foot tables are fine. Chairs, 55-60, 2 per table, generous.

List enclosed, cutoff date was yesterday. Did not reach out to Steve Green (birdbaths). List is probably accurate. In the draft email I did make note that we would like to hand out the directory at the door for attendees. Asked the participants to please let me know if it's accurate, and if they want it public. I'd like to send the email as soon as possible. Once they let me know if they are averse to being on the list.

I'll put the map together. My husband and two sons will help setup. On the day of, we don't need more people to set up. Frank Taylor, Geena Kemp offered to help. John and Anthony and Ryan can handle setup and breakdown.

DEan: I emailed two leads, no reply.

Pal: We'll have a table by the front by the door, and an hourly schedule to work the door. The library is soliciting volunteers through friends of the library. Start staffing that at 10:30 , shift hourly, till 3:30 5 hours. Primarily they would have your directory to pass out and anything else to distribute. They would be greeters. I'm not sure how to promote Fix It / Mend It. I'm treating it as separate from the artisan fair.

Sandi: I'll take care of name tags for participants. Bunnie Colletti, Wilkinson Food Pantry, will set up donation boxes, and make sure everything gets to the church at the end.

Dean: ACTION I'll put the Wilkinson Food Pantry ask back on the poster.

Dean: ACTION I'll contact the church again about parking.

Paul: I sent Andy Robertson an email summarizing where we were, mentioned certificates of insurance are on hand at the school district. He said he'd pull certificates for the school district and the church for the event. Dean will contact the church.

Paul: ACTION I'll check with Caren Rossi and Matt Glode about fishing Derby and ORYA games.

Sandi: Do we have to do anything more about the police?

Paul: ACTION: I'll contact the police.

Sandi: Paul should contact Haley about the email sandwich board.

Paul: ACTION: Sandi will ask Haley for a sandwich board, cc Paul.

Dean: Which posters should we print?

Sandi: I think we should print all of them. We have permission on all six photos. 11x14 and laminated. I have a list of locations to post them.

Dean: ACTION I'll ask Caren Rossi to print 3 sets of the six images 11x14

ACTION: Dean will put Lee Sustainability Committee logo on ads

ACTION: Dean will make a pretty directory using Photoshop once names & information are finalized.

Chuck: Captain Fiddle; he wants to be a part of it, he'll be at the Grange breakfast. Put him on the poster.

ACTION: Dean will include Captain Fiddle / Music on the poster. Sandi will get an image and information on how they like to be billed.

ACTION: Dean will add a Fix It Mend it Workshop notice to poster

Chuck: We have the four people from last time. I am having cataract surgery and will not be handling tools. I'll be there to coordinate.

Sanid: Chuck, you will be handling the setup in that room?

Chuck: Yes. ACTION: I'll check if they need a table.

Paul: It's mostly the same people as last time; we can use notes to count tables. Rich Messeder, Cary Brown, Matt Rowell and Bambi Miller, chairs.

ACTION: Paul will contact them, mainly with insurance concerns. He'll share the result with Town Administrator Robertson.

Paul: I went through my old emails re Matt / sharpening. We had two questions: Whether he'd actually be sharpening items on site, and whether we needed to make sure people viewing would be a safe distance away, and whether he needed a ground tarp (no, he didn't). I think he demonstrated sharpening. When we presented the liability last year, they were ok with that way of doing things.

Chuck: ACTION I'll talk with Matt.

Paul: If he's sharpening items he should be sharpening items that he's bringing in, not accepting items of people there. There's a security concern, accidents (and worse) when people carry sharp things. No attendees should bring sharp items.

ACTION: Paul and Chuck will coordinate with Matt, Paul will communicate to the town Administrator. Cary Brown was working with batteries.

ACTION: Chuck will verify Matt, Cary and Rich are doing what they did before. The liability for Fix It Mend It will be coordinated separately.

Sandi: Paul talked to Mast Way PTO, they will not have a table.

Paul: I explained it would be easier to have a conversation. I offered to attend a Mast Way PTO meeting. She decided to defer on participating until next year.

ACTION: Paul will handle liability re Fix It Mend It.

Sandi: Thanks for the WIFI Instructions.

Paul: I asked the Mast Way IT Integrator if they had written WIFI instructions for guests. They didn't; they really haven't used this WIFI in this manner. The Integrator did not expect a problem, but we should check right before. I couldn't log in during the Lee Deliberative Session.

Sandi: I may stand in the Mast Way lobby and try it.

Sandi: ACTION: Wait for Paul re conf on event, get in touch with Haley about sandwich board, send email to vendors by the end of the week.

Paul: Caren will be fast, I'll get a reply from Matt.

Sandi: I'll get directory info to Dean when it's firmed up.

Paul: If you have expenses, we'll reimburse receipts.

Sandi: All set with volunteers, good list of people, anyone else to reach out to?

Paul: Thanks for everything Sandi, you're so organized.

Sandi left at 8:03.

B. Paul – ArtisticLEE – Artisan Directory pilot

Paul: Sandi's list is public data. It's up to the committee about what to do. My role ends in May.

C. Chuck – Backyard Farming Initiative 2023

Chuck: One more session in the series, April 26 Misty Meadows, no John Forty, Wendy Fogg will do the whole thing by herself. It's been working very well in her space. Last one was well attended. There's some thinking we may do occasional things this summer. Brian Ferguson, Flag Hill, offered that he was happy to host a twilight meeting there. There are a couple of other summer possibilities.

Chuck: Next winter: Focus on water. Too much, too little, polluted, fresh. Good resources in town. Jim Griswold, retired hydrologist.

Paul: The people who present, are they receiving any gifts?

Chuck: No honorariums

Paul: If there are any expenses, who covers that?

Chuck: The Library has been covering refreshments. No video recordings (so no associated expense). Haley has been taking pictures and writing up meetings.

Paul: Do you and the committee think Wendy and Misty Meadows should receive an honorarium for hosting this? In the past our committee has paid the rental fee.

Paul moves that the Lee Sustainability Committee, with the permission of the Backyard Farming Committee, create an honorarium for Wendy Fogg of Misty Meadows for hosting the Backyard Farming Initiative in the winter of 2023 in the amount of \$100.
Chuck 2nd, 3-0 in favor.

ACTION: If we get permission from BFC we'll try to get this done in time for April 21

Dean: ACTION: I'll word an honorarium certificate and share via email with LSC

D. All - E-Crier articles

ACTION: Dean will work on Salt and Winter Heat Waves

ACTION: Dean will deal with ECrier ad for Artisan Fair / Fix It Mend It

E. All – Transfer Station Initiatives

- All – Reduce consumption, increase recycling
- All – Suggest book studies to ORCRead or Lee Library?
- All – Video explaining how to recycle? Work with ORCSD.

N/A

F. New Members / Volunteers

Dean: I reached out to a couple of prospects that filled out a card at the Lee Fair, but I haven't heard back.

Chuck: Julia, one of our tenants, is thinking about it.
Chuck: I talked with Rick Messeder, he's thinking of joining.
Chuck: Ask selectman candidate Erik Johnson if he'd like to become a member. ACTION: Dean will do this.

G. Grants

Dean: I'm continuing to monitor; haven't seen one worth applying for yet.

H. Dean/Chuck – *Table to Farm* Compost Initiative (tabled)

Still tabled.

I. Other

V. New Business

A. Other N/A

VI. Public Comments N/A

VII. Closing Actions

A. Future Meeting Dates

Second Tuesday of the month in general.

Tuesday May 9th

B. Agenda Planning for Next Meeting

[see above]

VIII. Adjournment

Paul moved, Chuck 2nd, 3-0 adjourned 8:17 pm

Respectfully submitted, Dean Rubine

Please email sustain@leenh.org if you have suggestions, comments or questions.